Benefits of Chikoo/Sapodilla
I have mentioned below almost all the possible health benefits of the Chikoo fruit for you:
Chikoo fruit is very beneficial to your eyes as it is the good source of Vitamin A which naturally aids in improving your eye vision even in the old ages.
It revitalizes the body through its high energy content like fructose and sucrose which supply instant energy.
Chikoo fruit is a very effective anti-inflammatory agent because of its high tannins content. It helps in improving the health of the digestive tract by preventing a variety of inflammations like esophagitis, irritable bowel syndrome, enteritis and gastritis.
Sapodilla is a very good source of antioxidants, dietary fibres and nutrients (Vitamins A and B) which helps in preventing certain types of cancers (lung cancer, oral cavity cancer and etc) in the body by binding the carcinogens. Its vitamins contents maintain the health of mucus linings in the body and so the skin texture.
Chikoo makes your bones healthy and powerful as it contains minerals like calcium, phosphorus, iron and etc required to maintain the bone endurance.
Chikoo fruit is dietary fibres (works as a laxative) rich fruit thus aids in relieving constipation. It nourishes the colon’s membrane by making it resistant to the infections.
Chikoo fruit has haemostatic property means assists in stopping blood loss during piles or other injuries. The paste of its seeds can be applied to the areas of insect bites to get instant relief.
It also has the anti-parasitic, antiviral and antibacterial property as it has the polyphenolic antioxidants which prevent the bacteria to grow or enter into the human body.
Chikoo is rich in Vitamin C which rejuvenates the body by destroying free radicals and boosting the immunity.
The other content like potassium, folate, iron, niacin and pantothenic acid assist in the appropriate working of the digestive system.
Chikoo fruit works as a great anti diarrheal home remedy because of its purgative property. It also provides relief from the piles and dysentery.
Chikoo plays a great role in improving mental health because of being an effective sedative. It calms down the nerves and eases stress. It is proved as the most beneficial fruit for the person suffering from the depression, insomnia or anxiety.
Eating Chikoo helps to get relief from the severe cold and chronic cough by eliminating the phlegm and mucus from the nasal and respiratory tract.
The seeds of the Chikoo fruit work as a diuretic and helps in removing the bladder and kidney stones. It provides protection against other kidney diseases as well.
Eating Chikoo regularly controls the gastric enzymes secretions and metabolism process and thus assists in weight loss and prevents obesity.
It works as a good detoxifying agent and diuretic which helps in eliminating the body waste materials through frequent urination. It maintains the body water concentration thus prevents the occurrence of edemas (water retention) in the body.
Sapodilla helps in curing the tooth cavities as its high latex content is used to fill the tooth cavities.
The magnesium content of the Chikoo makes the blood vessels healthy and potassium content helps in regulating the blood pressure and blood circulation.
The folate and iron contents of it prevent the occurrence of anemia.
A paste prepared by mixing the Chikoo flowers and Chikoo fruits provides relief as well as prevents the pulmonary problems.
Chikoo fruit also works as an antispasmodic as it provides relief from pains and muscle spasms.
6 Surprising Benefits of Chikoo:
- Benefits of Chikoo during Pregnancy: It is considered as the high energetic fruit for the pregnant and lactating mother because of its high carbohydrates and nutrients contents. It reduces the weakness in pregnant women by offering instant energy and provides relief from pregnancy symptoms like nausea and dizziness.
- Benefits of Chikoo for Hair: Eating Chikoo regularly provide all the essential nutrients required to maintain healthy hair. The oil extracts from the Chikoo seeds moisturize and softens the hair by nourishing the scalp and relieving the skin irritation. It is also effective in treating the seborrheic dermatitis. The paste of Chikoo seeds and castor oil is applied on the scalp to get rid of dandruff.
- Benefits of Chikoo for Skin: Because of the high contents of minerals, vitamins and antioxidants of Chikoo, it makes the skin healthy and glowing by maintaining the natural texture and complexion of the skin. Its Vitamin E content moisturizes the skin and thus makes beautiful. The antioxidants property of Chikoo works against the early ageing by fighting with the wrinkles and free radicals (which enhances the ageing process). The seed kernel oil of Chikoo works as the best skin ointment. The milky juice of Chikoo plant is very effective in removing the skin warts and fungal growth.
- Benefits of Chikoo Milkshake: As Chikoo milkshake is prepared by mixing with milk, it has increased its energy, vitamins and minerals levels. It is very tasty and delicious shake when prepared using the appropriate amount of both.
- Benefits of Chikoo Juice: Chikoo juice is also very energetic and full of all the nutrients provides instant energy by fighting fatigue and weakness.
- Benefits of Chikoo for Infants/Babies/Kids: It can be given to the new age group kids, infants and babies and can be started from 6 to 8 months of age.
Some of the benefits for kids are:
- It is a good source of vitamins which is very necessary for the infants and toddlers for their physical and mental growth. It boosts the immune system, proper eyesight, brain development, lipid metabolism, increase haemoglobin level, proper cell division and helps in carrying out many other activities.
- It is the good source of minerals like iron, folates, calcium, magnesium, potassium, zinc, copper, phosphorous, selenium and etc which are very essential for facilitating various body functions including proper bone growth.
- It supplies them lots of antioxidants to fight with the free radicals of metabolism.
- It has antimicrobial property thus prevents many infections.
- It is very useful in curing their diarrhoea and dysentery problems.
- It also helps in curing common cough and cold and provides relief from the congestion.
Nutritional Value of Chikoo/Sapodilla per 100 g
(Source: USDA Nutrient Database)
Energy: 83 Kcal
Fat: 1.10 g
Carbohydrates: 19.9 g
Protein: 0.44 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.3 g
Folates: 14 mcg
Vitamin A: 60 IU
Vitamin C: 14.7 mg
B Group Vitamins:
Niacin (B3): 0.200 mg
Pantothenic acid (B5): 0.252 mg
Pyridoxine (B6): 0.037 mg
Riboflavin (B2): 0.020 mg
Thiamin (B1): 0.058 mg
Sodium: 12 mg
Potassium: 193 mg
Calcium: 21 mg
Copper: 0.086 mg
Iron: 0.80 mg
Magnesium: 12 mg
Phosphorous: 12 mg
Selenium: 0.6 mcg
Zinc: 0.10 mg
Saturated fatty acids: 0.33 g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 0.89 g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.02 g