Why Cottage Cheese is Considered a Super Food?
Cottage cheese provides many health benefits, including high protein content, as well as significant calcium, phosphorus, and potassium contents, and it can be used for weight management.
Top 15 Stupendous Benefits of Cottage Cheese
1. Protein: Since cottage cheese is rich in protein it can help you maintain, build and repair lean muscle mass. One cup of low-fat cottage cheese provides you with about 26 grams of protein, which is about half of the recommended dietary allowance, or RDA, for protein. According to the Institute of Medicine, the current protein RDA is 56 grams for men and 46 grams for women each day.
2. Calcium and Phosphorus: Cottage cheese benefits the health of your bones by increasing your phosphorus and calcium intake. Both of these minerals make up hydroxyapatite — the mineral responsible for bone density. Calcium also plays a role in heart and muscle function, while phosphorus helps make up the structure of your DNA. A cup of cottage cheese contains 303 milligrams of phosphorus and 138 milligrams of calcium. This makes up 43 percent of your recommended daily phosphorus intake, and 14 percent of the calcium you need daily, according to the Institute of Medicine.
3. Riboflavin and Vitamin B-12: Cottage cheese also offers health benefits as a result of its vitamin content, and serves as an especially rich source of riboflavin — also called vitamin B2 — and vitamin B-12. Riboflavin activates enzymes in your cells; this enzyme activation allows you to convert food into useable energy. Vitamin B-12 supports brain function and aids in the production of red blood cells. Each 1-cup serving of cottage cheese contains 0.4 milligram of riboflavin — 36 percent of the recommended daily intake for women and 31 percent for men — as well as 1.4 micrograms of vitamin B-12, or 58 percent of your daily recommended intake.
4. Weight Management: Fat-free cottage cheese may help you achieve or maintain a healthy body weight. Dairy products may help facilitate weight loss during periods of energy restriction. This may be due – at least in part – to the large amount of protein present in cottage cheese. Protein helps increase satiety, or a feeling of being full, more than carbs or fat.
5. Reduced Risk of Breast Cancer: The calcium and vitamin D found in dairy products, especially in cottage cheese, reduces the risk of breast cancer. According to a study- in the case of premenopausal women, the level of calcium and vitamin D actually helped in reducing the risk of breast cancer.
6.Rich in Protein: One of the biggest benefits of cottage cheese is the high amount of casein protein found in it. It is believed that cow’s milk contains the highest amount of casein protein among various milk. The amount of protein contained in cottage cheese is ideal for vegetarians in supplying them with the required amount of daily protein. Cottage cheese does not require any amount of cooking and it can be consumed directly.
7. Best Foods for Pregnant Women: Cottage cheese is recommended for pregnant women along with athletes due to various essential nutrients found in it. For example, pregnant women need calcium and cottage cheese is a very good source for it. Cottage cheese also contains phosphorus, which is an important element found in bones that are also recommended during pregnancy.
8. Rich Source of B-Complex Vitamins: B-complex vitamins found in cottage cheese are helpful in various metabolic activities in our bodies. Some of them include vitamin B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, thiamin, niacin, and folate.
- Vitamin B12 is needed for proper brain functioning and helps in absorbing iron.
- Riboflavin helps in converting carbohydrates into energy.
- Pantothenic Acid acts as a synthesizer that helps in forming proteins, fats, carbohydrates, and amino acids in our body.
- Thiamin helps in converting sugars into energy in the pyruvate dehydrogenase system.
- Niacin, on the other hand, plays an important role in digestion, energy production, and cholesterol reduction.
- Folate helps in fetal development in pregnant women, helps in producing red blood cells and keeps the heart healthy.
9. Strengthens Bones: Calcium is one of the major elements associated with milk and their products. Some of the benefits of calcium-rich foods include bone strengthening and weight loss. The amount of calcium in cottage cheese is 8% of the daily recommended value. Calcium, found in milk and milk products such as curd or cottage cheese, helps in building strong bones throughout childhood and adulthood.
Eating calcium-rich foods during pregnancy and later years is helpful, especially in osteoporosis and colon cancer. It also helps the nervous system in sending nerve impulse and controls weight gain and heart disease. These are just a few of the benefits of eating calcium-rich foods like cottage cheese.
10. Heart-Friendly and Maintains Blood Sugar Levels: Cottage cheese is a good source of magnesium. In the human body, most of the magnesium is concentrated in our bones. Magnesium also acts as a catalyst, promotes biochemical reactions, activates various enzymes in the body, maintains muscle and nerve functioning, and supports the immune system.
It helps in maintaining blood sugar levels and prevents heart attacks, constipation, psychiatric disorders, migraine, and collagen.
11. Prevents Strokes and Controls Anxiety: Apart from other nutrients, cottage cheese contains potassium. Potassium acts as a fluid-balancing element in the body and is an important component in neural activities of the muscle and brain. It also relieves muscle cramps.
Intake of potassium on a regular basis prevents the risk of getting brain stroke since it lowers blood pressure and the contraction of vessels. It is also helpful in decreasing stress levels and anxiety. Potassium, along with sodium, acts as electrolytes, but potassium does not have the side effects of sodium such as increased blood pressure and cardiovascular stress.
13. Improves Biological Functions: Zinc found in cottage cheese is about 4% of the daily recommended value. In the human body, it is found in the brain, muscles, bones, kidneys, liver, prostate, and eyes. It helps in the metabolism of DNA and RNA.
Zinc is one of the trace elements whose presence in our body helps in improving the immune system, digestion, diabetes control, fights stress and anxiety, cures night blindness, improves ocular health, prevents appetite loss, prevents prostate disorder, fights various infections and also acts as an antioxidant.
14. Improves Digestion: Cottage cheese contains phosphorous, which plays a major role in the formation of DNA and RNA. It is a major component in forming bones along with calcium. Phosphates also help in digestion, excretion, and in the production and extraction of energy in the cells.
15. Antioxidant Properties: Selenium is a trace element found in cottage cheese. It is required in very small quantities, not more than 50 mcg to 70 mcg in adults. Selenium is useful as an antioxidant that protects cells and DNA from damage. It is also believed that an optimum intake of selenium-rich foods reduces the risk of prostate cancer. A new study suggests that a diet rich in dairy products may slightly extend the lives of people diagnosed with colon cancer.