Benefits of Buttermilk | 8 Amazing Health Benefits of Buttermilk
Buttermilk was originally the liquid left over after churning butter from cream, hence its name. Nowadays, it’s fermented from regular milk using bacterial cultures. This creates a tart, acidic liquid that has several health benefits. These are –
8 Amazing Health Benefits of Buttermilk
1. Probiotics: Since buttermilk is made using live, active cultures of healthy bacteria, it contains probiotics. Probiotics help limit the number of unhealthy types of bacteria in your digestive tract and may lower your risk for diarrhoea and cancer. These healthy bacteria are particularly useful during and after taking antibiotics, as they help repopulate your digestive tract with healthy bacteria.
2. Reduces Body Heat: Buttermilk is popular with pre-and post-menopausal woman as it helps to reduce heat in the body. For those people looking for relief from hot flashes, buttermilk is a great way to offset these annoying symptoms. Even men who suffer from high metabolism and high body temperature enjoy the benefits of buttermilk of reducing body heat. However, buttermilk is not just useful in dropping body temperature.
3. Boosts Immune System: Amazing buttermilk is also rich in lactic acid bacteria. This bacteria aids in digestion and helps reduce frequent heartburn and overproduction of stomach acids. These same lactic acid bacteria can also boost the immune system. It helps the body fight off harmful pathogens found in everyday foods. Consumed every day, the body is ready to combat dangerous bacteria that can harm the body and make the person quite ill. Buttermilk is also rich in many nutrients such as potassium and calcium, which increase the nutritional value of this already nutritious drink.
4. Weight Maintenance: Many people are learning the weight loss advantage of consuming buttermilk as compared to regular whole milk. It is also a great snack to ward off hunger between meals or as a meal replacement altogether. People who drink buttermilk regularly tend to get full quicker and weigh less. And since buttermilk is easily digested, and also promoted digestive health, the body will absorb needed nutrients out of other foods more efficiently. Plus buttermilk is low fat and is consistent with a low-fat, healthy diet.
5. Muscle Mass: This drink is rich in protein, which is essential for building muscles. So, buttermilk is popular with bodybuilders.
6. Energy: Drink a glass of buttermilk when your energy levels are low.
7. Bone Health: Improve your bone health and dental health with buttermilk as well. Since it is rich in calcium, thus an excellent way to strengthen the bones.
8. Healthy Skin: Another benefit to drinking buttermilk is the benefits to the skin. Regularly drinking buttermilk keeps the digestive system healthy, which show up in clearer, healthier skin. Some people even use buttermilk baths to improve skin health and appearance. It moisturizes the skin, adding a natural glow and elasticity; not to mention that a buttermilk bath is extremely relaxing and soothing.
In conclusion, it is important to know that buttermilk is a sensible alternative to regular whole milk. While one is still consuming most of the health benefits found in regular milk, buttermilk consumption is lower in fat and enables one to control his or her weight. If you are looking for a great source of calcium with an incredible taste, buttermilk is the answer.