Astounding Benefits of Curd
Here are some reasons why you should add curd to your daily diet starting today.
1. Helps Improve Digestion
The nutrients present in curd are easily absorbed by your digestive system. Not only that, but it also helps in absorbing nutrients from other food items that you have eaten. It can also be used along with spicy food, as curd cools down and neutralises the heat that these foods create. The curd is helpful in curing H. Pylori infections which is the most common type of stomach infection.
2. Healthy for Your Heart
In a day and age where more and more young people are falling prey to heart disease, consuming curd can go a long way in maintaining heart health. It minimizes the risk of high blood pressure and helps reduce cholesterol levels by preventing the thickening of carotid arteries.
3. Milk Substitute for Those Who are Lactose Intolerant
Some people, who cannot consume milk because they are lactose intolerant, can safely consume curd. It converts the lactose present in milk to lactic acid, making it easier to digest. Also, you do not lose out on the nutritional boost that milk provides.
4. Helps boost Immunity
Curd has ‘good bacteria’ present in it which strengthens your immune system by fighting against several microorganisms that are present in the body. It is also useful in preventing vaginal yeast infection in women. These properties of curd do not diminish even when it is heated along with curry preparations to add flavour. Eat it daily to prevent infections and stay healthy!
5. Good for Teeth and Bones
All dairy products are good for your bones, and curd is no different. Like milk, curd to has a high amount of phosphorus and calcium. This makes it beneficial for your teeth and bones as it helps promote bone growth and makes your teeth stronger. Taking care of your bones is essential if you want to avoid painful diseases like osteoporosis and arthritis in the future.
6. Good for Skin
Nutrients like zinc, Vitamin E and phosphorus make curd a natural skincare product and it is often used as an ingredient in homemade packs.
- If it is applied on the face, it makes the complexion fair due to its lactic acid content. It exfoliates the upper layer (dead cells) of the skin to clear up the blemishes and reduce the fine wrinkles.
- If the mixture of yoghurt and almond or olive oil with honey is applied to the face for 20 to 30 mins, it makes the skin more radiant.
- Applying the sour curd on the face and neck for 15 mins removes the acne and dead skin cells and makes it fair.
- Applying the mixture of gram flour and yoghurt as a face mask for 15 mins makes the skin fair, soft and glowing.
- Applying the mixture of orange peel powder with curd lightens the skin tone.
- Applying the mixture of rose water, turmeric and curd to the face 15 mins and wash with lukewarm water makes the fair and soft.
- Applying the mixture of egg, oat and curd to the face remove the dead skin cells by clearing and exfoliating the skin.
- Applying the mixture of lemon juice and curd to the face makes the skin shiny, wrinkles free and healthy.
- Applying plain curd to the sunburnt skin enhances the healing process.
7. Helps Get Rid of Dandruff
It has lactic acid which has antifungal properties. You don’t even have to add other ingredients to it. Just whip some curd in a bowl, and add it to your scalp. Leave it for an hour, and wash properly with water.
8. Helps You Lose Weight
Curd helps in making the abdomen flat by cutting their total calories intake. More fat around the waistline secretes the hormone called cortisol which stimulates the accumulation of more fat over belly area. Calcium found in the yoghurt triggers the less cortisol production by the fat cells whereas amino acids burn out more fat, thus it helps to lose pounds if taken regularly.
It has very low-calorie content (low-fat or fat-free yoghurt) as well as the fat-burning property which aids in the weight loss strategy.
9. Helps Release Stress and Anxiety
Being stressed can wreck your health. Finding ways to relax and rejuvenate is imperative in today’s world. Along with other things, eating some curd can surely help. According to a study conducted by UCLA’s School of Medicine, eating curd was linked to lower levels of activity in the part of the brain responsible for emotion and pain.
All these health benefits make curd a superb food item that you and your family should consume on a daily basis.