Health Benefits of Honey – Top 15 Outstanding Medicinal Properties of Honey
The health benefits of honey include the following treatments, taken from both traditional and modern medical experts.
1. Sweetener: Sugar can be substituted with honey in many food and drinks. Honey contains about 69% glucose and fructose, enabling it to be used as a sweetener that is better for your overall health than normal white sugar.
2. Weight Loss: Though honey has more calories than sugar when honey is consumed with warm water, it helps in digesting the fat stored in your body. Similarly, honey and lemon juice as well as honey and cinnamon help in reducing weight. Read more about the benefits of honey in weight loss.
3. Energy Source: Honey contains about 64 calories per tablespoon. Therefore, honey is used by many people as a source of energy. On the other hand, one tablespoon of sugar will give you about 15 calories. Furthermore, the carbohydrates in honey can be easily converted into glucose by even the most sensitive stomachs, since it is very easy for the body to digest this pure, natural substance.
4. Improving Athletic Performance: Recent research has shown that honey is an excellent ergogenic aid and helps in boosting the performance of athletes. Honey is a great way to maintain blood sugar levels, muscle recuperation and glycogen restoration after a workout, as well as regulating the amount of insulin in the body, as well as energy expenditure.
5. Source of Vitamins and Minerals: Honey contains a variety of vitamins and minerals. The type of vitamins and minerals and their quantity depends on the type of flowers used for apiculture. Commonly, honey contains Vitamin C, Calcium and Iron. If you check the vitamin and mineral content in regular sugar from any other source, you will find it to be completely absent or insignificant.
6. Antibacterial and Antifungal Properties: Honey has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, so it is often used as a natural antiseptic in traditional medicines.
7. Antioxidants: Honey contains nutraceuticals, which are very effective for the removal of free radicals from the body. As a result, our body immunity is improved against many conditions, even potentially fatal ones like cancer or heart disease.
8. HoneySkin Care with Milk and Honey: Milk and honey are often served together since both of these ingredients help in creating smooth, beautiful skin. Consuming milk and honey every morning is a common practice in many countries for this very reason.
9. Honey in Wound Management: Significant research is being carried out to study the benefits of honey in the treatment of wounds. The Nursing Standard explains some of these benefits of honey in wound management in the document. These have been listed below:
10. Honey possesses antimicrobial properties.
11. It helps in promoting autolytic debridement.
12. It deodorizes malodorous wounds.
13. It speeds up the healing process by stimulating wound tissues.
14. It helps in initiating the healing process in dormant wounds.
15. Honey also helps in promoting moist wound healing.
The healing powers of honey are not overstated. Honey is used for faster recovery of cancer patients after surgery.
I hope the above mention information is useful for you.
Do you have any query please get in touch with me.
Dietitian Vinita Jaiswal