Top 12 Foods For A Healthy Liver
The liver is the largest organ in the human body & is most vital. The liver is your main detoxification organ. It is responsible for filtering toxins out of the bloodstream, so that toxins don’t build up in your body. A functioning liver works as our bodies’ fat-burning organ: It converts nutrients from the food we eat into essential blood components, storing vitamins and minerals and producing proteins and enzymes to maintain hormone balances in our bodies. Our livers also help our immune system fight infections, remove bacteria from the blood and make bile, which is essential for digesting our meals. An unhealthy liver can raise the risk of obesity, cardiovascular disease, chronic fatigue, headaches, digestive problems, allergies and many other ailments. Eating also helps: Here are 12 foods that keep your liver healthy
1. Garlic: Garlic helps your liver activate enzymes that can flush out toxins. It also has a high amount of allicin and selenium, two natural compounds that aid in liver cleansing.
2. Grapefruit: Eating or drinking grapefruit juice can help your liver flush out carcinogens and toxins. This fruit is also high in both vitamin C and antioxidant properties.
3. Beets: Beets are high in plant-flavonoids, which can improve the overall functions of your liver.
4. Leafy Greens: Leafy greens like spinach and lettuce have the ability to neutralize metals, chemicals, and pesticides that may be in our foods, and act as a protective mechanism for the liver.
5. Green Tea: Green tea is full of plant antioxidants known as catechins, which have been known to improve the functions of our liver.
6. Cruciferous Vegetables: Cruciferous veggies like broccoli and Brussels sprouts also increase the amount of glucosinolate (organic
compounds) in our bodies that helps create enzyme production for digestion.
7. Lemons: We all know citrus fruits like lemons are full of vitamin C, but lemons also help our bodies cleanse out toxic materials and aid the digestion process.
8. Turmeric: Used as a spice, turmeric has been known to help our bodies digest fats and stimulate the production of bile. It can also act as a natural form of detox for your liver.
9. Walnuts: Walnuts are also high in glutathione and omega-3 fatty acids, which help support our liver through its cleansing process.
10. Fish: This is beneficial for liver function because it is an excellent source of protein. Another benefit of fish is its high omega 3
fatty acid content. Omega 3 fats are a natural anti-inflammatory and fantastic for people with raised liver enzymes, indicating an inflamed liver.
11. Berries: Research has shown that certain berries, including blueberries and mulberries, can help fight against liver cancer due to their high levels of antioxidants.
12. Warm Water with Lemon: Adequate water intake helps to flush out excess toxins from the body. When your body is well hydrated, it not only helps liver function, but it also helps all of the organs and cells in your body.
Avoiding an excessive consumption of tobacco, alcohol, coffee and white sugar & adding in low impact exercises (like daily walks) and
drinking lots of water are all ways to ensure good liver health. Remember basic principles of healthy eating: eat more nutritious foods and less processed foods.
For a Healthy life keep your liver Healthy. Please Share, Like & Comment on this article. Do you have any questions regarding Diet & Nutrition please get in touch with me.
Dietitian Vinita Jaiswal